Friday, August 10, 2007

Sweet Sweaty 16

Well, last Saturday was supposed to be my longest group run of 16 miles, but I unfortunately couldn't make it because I'd come down with a nasty summer cold. I set all my running stuff out the night before just in case I felt better, but when that alarm went off and I awakened coughing and not being able to breathe out of my nose, I thought it best to forego the run. So I nursed my cold for another few days and set out to complete my run alone on Wednesday.

Tuesday, the night before, I laid out all my gear. Tank, sports bra, shorts, socks, shoes, watch, hydration belt, packs of sports gels, tissues (for those bathrooms without paper products along the lakefront), a little cash to refill on Gatorade, and of course, the all important iPod.

I began the run about 2 hours later than I planned, but at least I was doing it right? Man, it started out really rough and only got rougher. I couldn't run while I was sick and now I was really paying for it. Not to mention the fact that we've been experiencing a heat wave for the past couple of weeks. Wednesday wasn't just hot, but it was HUMID. The sweat poured from me and flies stuck to me. I kept going though. You're supposed to run the first leg slower than the second, but this time around it didn't happen. I was just way out of synch. Yet, after a short bathroom break and replenishing my Gatorade supply, I was back at it. By now the sun was fully out and I went slower and slower. But, I did it and I actually did 17 miles! In my delirium I passed up my 8 mile marker and logged an extra mile!

No tears at the end of this run, only thanks to the good Lord that I made it back to the car!

1 comment:

S K G Rao said...

Hi,
I wish you all luck,how to send donation from india,please visit my blog and inform me in my guest book.My blog URL:
http://engineeringtextilesforindia.blogspot.com
Thanking you from India.