Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Alone It's a Whole Different Ball Game

It wasn't intentional but I missed my group run last Saturday. I've been so good about dragging myself out of bed Saturday mornings, but I went to bed so late, or early- depending how you look at it. I didn't close my eyes until the light came up that morning- around 4 am and I thought it best not to attempt to run 10 miles. Why was I up until 4 in the morning, you ask? Well, in one word, cable. Oh, and four other words, huge plasma screen tv. I was dog sitting for a few days (a small brown and round little baby who was my shadow the entire time and whose name is Meatball, or Meats for short. Apparently when his humans first saw him at a shelter they thought he looked just like a meatball. Meatball had something bad happen to him before he found David and Jody. He's got just one little brown eye and the other socket is sewn shut. If only he could talk and tell us what horrible thing happened to him before he became the love of his parent's lives. No matter though, now he lives in the lap of luxury. They have this great condo downtown and Meatball must have someone to sleep with under the covers. It's so adorable! He slept with me the entire time. Then any time I was on the couch in front of the tv, which was a LOT, he'd sleep on my lap and give me kisses. I haven't had my own dog in a few years now so I'd forgotten how much more attentive they can be than cats. Though most people claim that all of my cats somehow become dog-like). Anyway, I digressed from main point here. I was up until 4 am Saturday morning because I had access to not only a large plasma screen tv, but also to hundreds and hundreds of channels, as well as TIVO and Direct TV. I don't own my own television any more, a choice I do not regret, and I've never bought cable. My parents also never bought cable and I am so glad. While I'll admit that there are a FEW channels on cable that are worthwhile and have quality programming, I still believe that over 90% of it is utter garbage. But this garbage is a wonderful indulgence when you have it only on occasion. Court TV, Showtime, TV Land, Turner Classic Movies, Lifetime, home make-over shows, infomercials- I find them mesmerizing and I can watch them for hours. I think it's the sociologist in me that is so intrigued by the psychology of "the sell" tactics. Constant repetition and testimonials, pretty water beaded bottles held by pretty people. Rock-hard abs and bikinis lying on a new ab machine, celeb endorsements- so fascinating. Ok, so basically I didn't know what to do with myself and I didn't stop watching. Then, before I knew it, it was light outside and the birds were chirping.

However, I was determined to get in my ten mile run and did so on Monday morning- alone. Let me tell you it was not easy. It was me, my iPod, Gatorade strapped to my waist and the scorching sun along the lakefront. I went much slower than usual because it was extremely hot and ridiculously humid. There were tons of people out sunbathing, swimming, biking, and roller-blading. So many people that you really had to be cautious when you were passing people or trying to cross the path, especially around North Ave and Ohio St. I pushed through it though and actually ended up running one extra mile because I passed up my car. I should also mention that my running time was also off due to the fact that I stopped for about 20 minutes to help this little sparrow who couldn't seem to fly over this ledge under a bridge. At the 5 mile mark I stopped to marvel at the lake view and celebrate the half way point, when I noticed a tiny bird was in distress. It kept trying to fly up over this ledge but couldn't seem to make it. People were walking and zooming by on bikes, not noticing this little one was having trouble. I got closer and closer to it and it kept backing away- good bird! Don't trust humans because you never know! At one point it actually flew onto my leg as a man whisked by us. I tried offering my hand as a ladder up but no luck. Then, I went in search of a stick to act as a ramp to the ledge. But the bird didn't take to it. Then, finally, it dawned on me that the bird could just take the stairs to get to the other side of the ledge! So slowly I eased it to the open stairs just a little ways from our initial spot. It got to the steps and hopped down and I took off back towards my next five miles.

Bright and hot sun, no shade, and sticky air made for an even slower return, but I made it! And I made it with only myself to motivate me. I must admit that I'm pretty darn proud of me.

jth

No comments: