Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Wednesday, June 27, 2007


I am so tired I can't really think straight, but I thought I'd try to get a new posting in. I wanted to say thank you to all of the people who have donated to this cause and support me on this journey. Tonight I did my run on my parents treadmill while watching the tele. I was so exhausted just from the day, but at 10:15 p.m., after my late dinner digested, I got on for a short run. There was a little stiffness in my left knee, and it came and went, but wasn't much of a problem. It's amazing how running puts you in tune with your body.

Part of the reason I think that I am so wiped out is because of the weather. The typical dog days of summer in Chi-town. Hot, sticky, humid, in a word, miserable. Yet, I wouldn't trade this time in Chicago with my wacky parents for anything. Summer is so fantastic here. My childhood home is one of those 90 year old Chicago-style bungalows and doesn't have central air-conditioning, so during the summer all of the windows are open. The whirl of the box fans and kids outside, the murmur of television sets, and car stereos fading into the distance are so familiar, soothing, comforting. As I write, memories come flooding back of my dad riding me on his ten speed bike to the beach on that straight bar (you know the one that "male" bikes usually had. I never understood why guy's bikes had that bar. You'd think bike makers would want to keep as much stuff as possible out of that very sensitive area). I can taste the snow cones and hot dogs (yes, I used to eat meat!) that my mom would stop and get for me on her way home from work. Or going with her to the video store and renting Rear Window for the hundredth time. Watching it in the darkness of the den with only the Technicolor glowing vibrant and vidid Crayola colors.

Chicago summers, there's nothing like them.

No comments: